Kas Knoephla Recipe and Memories

Acacia Jonas Stuckle, Fargo, recorded her grandmother Judy Kraft Brick making Käse Knoephla and sent lots of photos old and new along with her lineage and the recipe.

These are the types of things we are collecting to preserve the food history of the Germans from Russia in a tri-county area of Emmons County, McIntosh County and Logan County.

From the 2000 census we learned that 69.2% of Emmons; 75% of Logan and 82% of McIntosh counties were of German ancestry. So we have a lot of celebrate in our food culture.

My brother came to visit on Sunday and we had kas knoephla and chocolate cake. It was yummy and he said he hadn’t had kas knoephla for years. Please note the spelling I am using this week…

So here is the information and one of the many photos we have from Acacia, who by the way, works for the NDSU Germans from Russia Heritage Collection at the Libraries.

Recipe from Judy (Kraft) Brick – Aberdeen, SD (formerly Strasburg, ND)
Parents: Sylvester & Frances (Moser) Kraft
Maternal Grandparents: Pius & Regina (Glas) Moser
Paternal Grandparents: Stephen & Franciska (Fischer) Kraft
Twin Sister to Jane (Kraft) Bosch
Maternal Grandmother to Acacia (Jonas) Stuckle

Judy (Kraft) Brick’s Cheese Buttons (Käse Knoephla)
Judy (Kraft) Brick – Aberdeen, SD (formerly Strasburg, ND)
Parents: Sylvester & Frances (Moser) Kraft
Maternal Grandparents: Pius & Regina (Glas) Moser
Paternal Grandparents: Stephen & Franciska (Fischer) Kraft
Twin Sister to Jane (Kraft) Bosch
Maternal Grandmother to Acacia (Jonas) Stuckle

Dough Ingredients:
5 c. flour
4-5 eggs
Combine these two ingredients together and add enough water to make the dough the right consistency.

Filling Ingredients:
1 container cottage cheese (may need more)
2 eggs
Salt and pepper
Mix these three ingredients together.

• Mix the dough with hands.
  • Sprinkle flour on counter and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough.
  • Cut into squares.
  • Fill squares with approximately one tablespoon of filing depending on size of square.
  • Seal with hands by pressing the sides of dough together. If the dough doesn’t stick together, dip finger with water and brush along the seam of dough.

Boil the cheese buttons in salt water. The water should be at boil before you add them. Boil the cheese buttons for approximately 15-20 minutes.

While the cheese buttons are boiling, fry bread crumbs in butter. You can also fry the cheese buttons in butter after they are done boiling.

As a child, Judy remembers her mother, Frances (Moser) Kraft, boiling prunes or raisins in water. When the prunes were soft, sugar was added to sweeten them. They then poured the juice over the fried cheese buttons. Her mother also used cinnamon and sugar instead of salt and pepper. The cheese buttons were served as a main dish, especially on Fridays since they didn’t eat meat. These were served at either the noon meal or evening meal. She recalls occasionally eating these with pickled beets.

Oh, and if you want to plant beets in this beautiful weather, check out this pickled beet video: Hands make Pickled Beets.

She recalls her mother making dumplings often using bread dough. Another dish they ate consisted of boiled noodle dough with potatoes and fried. It was served with watermelon. Judy said she can’t recall the name but it means “slippery noodles” in German.

Advertisements

About spidersue

Working on books, working, gardening, baking, canning, knitting, crocheting, reading, walking, getting older, getting wiser, love my children, love love love my grandchildren.
This entry was posted in Posted by Sue B. Balcom, Shared information posted by Sue B. Balcom and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Kas Knoephla Recipe and Memories

1. Robert J. Scheeler says:

Enjoying your saga of the many spellings of knoephla. And I am grateful for–and here comes another spelling dilemma–what my Mom and her contemporaries called “kas nip.” Ever resourceful, later in life, Mom would pick up cheese ravioli at the super makiet and those were her “kas nip.”

• dasguteessen says:

Hey my daughter makes faux kase knoehla with lasagna noodles I think.. It’s hilarious, they really aren’t that difficult to make… and I learned a few tips over the weekend during one of my interviews.

2. Brunella Deeds says:

When we were little, my mom would make her own cheese curds for the insides of the kneophla. I use the commercial cottage cheese but rinse off the creamy part so they are not so runny inside.

• Babs says:

My mom used to buy “no-curd” cottage cheese. It actually said that on the package. It was not as wet. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen no-curd cottage cheese since I was a child.

3. Cindy Dabney says:

My grandmother used to make “Kas nip” as one of the previous comments stated. It sounds very similiar to the recipe, although I don’t remember her using cottage cheese. I was wondering if the original recipe really used cottage cheese or something. Unfortunately I never took the time to learn or write down the recipe (and of course she never actually used a recipe). I want to give this a try and see if it brings back the memories of my childhood and my grandmothers cooking! Any comments on the cheese would be appreciated.

4. Judy Jensen says:

Can you buy cheese made from sour milk? My sister-in-law made these for us many years ago and I remember a taste of vinegar in the filling. Would she have added vinegar or used some cheese other than cottage cheese? (Unable to ask her.)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Prairie Legacy - German Russian Country says:

You can sour milk by adding vinegar and also perhaps rather than lemon juice or citric acid, which is common nowadays, they used the vinegar to hurry along the cottage cheese making. HOWEVER, I have been told that they took the milk from the cow and set it aside until it soured and then it became cottage cheese… i am going to make cheese the next time I make kase knephla… I hope that helps, cottage cheese is easy to make… just google it… Anyone else out there have any advice?

5. Tracy says:

My mom and grandma made bread dough dumplings also. I so wish I had been smart enough to realize how little time people have on earth and would have taken the time to learn how to make them! We ate them with pancake syrup.

6. gordon sticks says:

My family has been making this for 4 generations we call it kasnip. It’s interesting to see this recipe my family is also German from Russia that came over to the United States and settled in North Dakota.

7. gordon sticks says:

When we have leftovers we fry the kas nip the next morning with eggs and its delicious

• Prairie Legacy - German Russian Country says:

We had many breakfasts of leftover knephla fried with eggs. Last night I couldn’t decide on a potluck dish for this weekend and guess what, my husband said kneplha and sauerkraut… and there it was… 🙂